Saturday, February 11, 2006

Nacho libre!

Ten years ago, I bought this happy little CD, Santo Swings! by Southern Culture on the Skids. (A great live band and an inspiration to anyone who has ever eaten fried chicken.)



This is the first I learned of the great Mexican wrestler ... SANTO. Although he is no longer with us, his legacy lives on in film. One of the more fun evenings I have enjoyed since I moved to Seattle was watching a Fremont outdoor movie double bill of El tesoro de Moctezuma (Santo and the Treasure of Montezuma), and, Las luchadoras contra la momia (Wrestling Women vs the Aztec Mummy).

Imagine my joy to learn about the upcoming motion picture Nacho Libre scheduled for release in June 2006. It is directed by the same guy who did Napoleon Dynamite and stars Jack Black as a priest-turned-luchador.

Watch the preview here

IMDB entry

Helpful background wikipedia entry.

No comments: