I couldn't decide on a second song. I looked through their entire list of songs and couldn't find anything I wanted to sing. Minutes passed. The crowd got bored and started to leave the bar. Any enthusiasm that had been generated by the awesome first song was gone.
In frustration, the guitar player said, OK, we're going to do this song and pulled out an old LP from a box of records. He handed me the LP - the sountrack to "Conan The Barbarian" - and the band started playing a song by Queen. *
I didn't know the song. The guitar player said, "The vocals have the same melody as the guitar part. We'll play a few bars and then you jump in." The band started to play and then I tried to sing. It was out of my range - serious Freddy Mercury territory - and the lyrics were about a man, a sword, a giant snake ... you get the idea.
Co-NAN!
He's the man with the plan,
A sword in his hand,
From a faraway land!
Co-NAN!
Unfortunately when the band changed from verse to chorus I wasn't expecting it and everything went to hell. What few people had stuck around, left, and shortly thereafter the band stopped playing. So much for budding rockstardom.
* Looking at the soundtrack listing from Amazon, there are no Queen songs on the Conan soundtrack. In my dream I must have confused the Conan and Flash Gordon soundtracks. But check out the tracks on the Conan soundtrack - track 4 in particular!
1. Prologue/Anvil of Crom
2. Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom
3. Gift of Fury
4. Column of Sadness/Wheel of Pain
5. Atlantean Sword
6. Theology/Civilization
7. Love Theme
8. Search
9. Orgy
10. Funeral Pyre
11. Battle of the Mounds, Pt. 1
12. Orphans of Doom/The Awakening
1 comment:
That track listing sounds like the lost Rush concept album - or perhaps the sequel to ELP's "Tarkus."
Post a Comment